Re: curl -v has become too verbose to follow for https requests

From: Charles Zhang via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:19:42 +0200

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:07:52AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>I hear you and we should be cautious with what we add to that output.
>But we also need to use the verbose output as a means for users to see
>what happens and to some extent to be able to report problems better
>when things go wrong.
>
>We should however keep trying to remove unncessary debug outputs, so I
>appreciate this email. I think we developers sometimes forget about
>this as we run our curl builds debug-enabled to a large extent and
>that makes us a little blind for this.

Thank you for the prompt response and caring attitude towards user
experience!

>I believe we have recently addressed some of the extranous TLS outputs
>with #10299

I wasn't aware of that change. Glad to know that it's already gone. The
discovery matches my memory that "curl -v" became noisier when
Arch Linux updates to openssl 3.0

>We actually put most of the new logging behind specific options only
>visible for debug-builds of curl and we should continue to do this for
>things that clearly are not intersting nor helpful to mortal users.
>
>Somewhat explained here:
>
> https://github.com/curl/curl/tree/master/tests#log-verbosity

The CURL_DEBUG environmental variable is recently introduced in #10271
and receives that documentation in #10283. Nice to have it when doing
debug in the future.

Cheers,