Re: post upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 - curl error - libldap_r-2.4.so.2 cannot open shared object file.

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:32:20 -0500

OK, so to track this down:

When you deleted your private curl, did you also remove the libcurl.so.
from /usr/local/lib (or lib64)?

which -a curl # make sure you know what curl you are running

ldd `which curl`

will list the libraries curl is linked against

look for libcurl.so.* => path

Do the same for the libcurl

both  will list libldap_r-2.4.so.2, or something similar that symlinks
to it.

  ls -l /usr/lib*/libldap_r* /usr/local/lib*/libldap_r* # list the
installed instances - on a fedora 37 system, I get:

ls: cannot access '/usr/local/lib*/libldap_r*': No such file or directory
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 15144 Aug 17 23:58 /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    18 Aug 17 23:58
/usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2.0.200 -> libldap_r-2.4.so.2

So the .so.2 is reasonably current for libldap_r-2.4  I don't have a
Ubuntu machine to see exactly how its setup.

updatedb && locate libldap_r-2.4.so #  do you have a libldap_r at all?
Is it in a standard place?

If ldap is installed in a non-standard place, you may need to install a
file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d in order for ldconfig (and thus ld) to find it.

If it's not installed at all, re-install it from your package manager.

A quick websearch indicates that you ubuntu has a newer version (2.5) of
libldap, so if you're using the curl from their distribution, raise an
issue with them.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=lunar&arch=any&mode=filename&searchon=contents&keywords=libldap

says that you can get libldap_4 rom libldap-dev

In any case, this appears to be a packaging/install issue, not a curl bug.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.