Re: Outputting URL components

From: Rich Gray via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:27:50 -0400

Daniel Stenberg via curl-users wrote:
> Basically helping to split up the URL. Something that is very tricky
> to do in for example an ordinary shell script.
If it's not already possible, it seems like it would be useful to give curl
a URL solely for the purpose of write outs (no transfer operation). Curl
would be able to function as a URL parser for scripts.

   curl --noop http://www.example.com:123/test -w'%{url.port}\n'

would echo out 123 on a line by itself.

--noop could also be useful for testing a curl command line for validity
without doing a transfer. (Could this speed up some tests?)

- Rich