Pending "video class": Mastering the curl command line

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:53:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends,

I just wanted to mention for/remind you that on August 31 I am going to
live-strem and record a long learning-curl session over on Twitch. I call it
"Mastering the curl command line". It starts at 16:00 UTC (9:00 PDT, 18:00
CEST) and I believe it might go on for about 2.5 hours. Possibly a little
longer.

All details and links are here:

   https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/08/08/mastering-the-curl-command-line/

My idea is to teach you all about the curl command line tool, and a lot of the
features that makes it powerful.

The tentative agenda looks like this:

1. The project (10 min)

An overview of what "the curl project" actually is. What we do, how we do it
and how it works.

2. Internet transfers (5 min)

To get everyone on board, a short explanation that in simple terms describe
what this thing called "internet transfer" is - as that is kind of a
fundamental part of curl.

3. Command line (20 min)

The curl command line parser and usage has a set of basic rules and layouts.
Figuring them out serves as a good way to go deeper. Different kinds of
command line options, how to write URLs, globbing, parallel transfers, listing
options, config files and more.

4. curl basics (30 min)

Knowing how to use the command line more, we continue. First with some casual
how to check version, verbose, tracing, the --write-out option into
understanding persistent connections and details about downloads, uploads,
retrying, transfer controls, rate-limiting, exit codes, happy eyeballs and
more.

5. TLS (15 min)

curl has numerous options and details around TLS and they are mostly protocol
agnostic. Enable it, specify differnt versions, verify server certificates,
OCSP stapling, client certificates, ciphers, TLS backends and a quick look at
how to snoop on your own TLS traffic using SSLKEYLOGFILE.

6. Proxies (20 min)

Still commonly used in networks I will cover how to figure out what proxy to
use, how to tell curl to use it, a little about different proxy versions and
types, PAC files, captive portals, HTTPS proxy, MITM proxy, authentication and
how you can set proxy with environment variables.

7. HTTP (30 min)

Onward and forward we get into HTTP(S) specifics, the most commonly used
protocol by curl users. How does it work, how do you tell curl to control
various aspects of HTTP, different versions, different verbs, changing
requests, doing POSTs, sending JSON, figuring out multipart formposts,
compression, authentication, etags, time conditions, redirects, PUT, cookies,
HTTP/2, HTTP/3 and more.

8. FTP (10 min)

FTP has its own set of quirks and I will get into some of them: it's not SFTP,
two connections, directory listings, upload, etc

9. Future (5 min)

I will end with a few quick words on where we are right now and where we might
go next. curl is 25 years old but there is no slowdown in sight.

Questions

I will try to read the chatroom while presenting and address questions as they
appear. The chat will not be visible in the stream.

Recording

Yes, the idea is to record the entire thing and make it available on Youtube
after the fact.