Re: Windows error SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE (0x80090326)

From: Gerald Wiltse via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 13:43:32 -0500

Thanks in advance for even responding and giving it a go! I have another
very important piece of information. We did find a session-level "fix" for
powershell, which I believe should make it pretty clear what the larger
problem is in the registry (not clear to me, but clear to you hopefully).

This is our "canary" URL and request command, and calling it as follows
doesn't work:

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

However, if we run the following Tls12 configuration command just before,
it WORKS:

PS> [Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol =
[Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12
PS> Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

I had the user run this command at the start, although the output wasn't
particularly helpful:

PS> [Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocolPS> SystemDefault

Then I had the user try all the following commands, none of which seemed to
resolve the issue. Although, these would have required the user to restart
the powershell session, and they may or may not have done that at each
point.

Set-ItemProperty -Path
'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319' -Name
'SchUseStrongCrypto' -Value '1' -Type DWord
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319'
-Name 'SchUseStrongCrypto' -Value '1' -Type DWord

Set-ItemProperty -Path
'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319' -Name
'SystemDefaultTlsVersions' -Value '1' -Type DWord
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319'
-Name 'SystemDefaultTlsVersions' -Value '1' -Type DWord

Set-ItemProperty -Path
'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v2.0.50727' -Name
'SystemDefaultTlsVersions' -Value '1' -Type DWord
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v2.0.50727'
-Name 'SystemDefaultTlsVersions' -Value '1' -Type DWord

Again, so far, only setting the Tls12 value in the powershell session
worked for us, and unfortunately we can't even do that as a temporary
workaround for CURL.

In any case, I'm hoping with the above info, you can suggest some new
ideas.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Jerry