Re: [Question / Feature Request] Sending data within WebSocket connection through curl CLI

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:16:20 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023, Snusmumr1000 wrote:

> It's awesome that libcurl has this feature, it is also pretty helpful for
> me. However, my initial question was regarding curl CLI, not regarding the
> library itself. I wonder if curl CLI has such an ability to send WS messages
> to a server interactively like in websocat CLI or in any other possible way.

It does not.

My plan is to make the implementation correct and "accepted" for libcurl
first, and then move on to make sure that it can be used in a good way by the
command line tool as well.

I was also hoping that websocket would find user interest so that contributors
would show up helping us get all of these details improved and ultimately
landed as non-experimental.

In absense of that, I will certainly get to this myself eventually, but
recently I have focused on other areas in the project. There is no time
schedule for when this will happen, and frankly I don't even yet have a clear
picture exactly what we need to do to make websocket support for the curl tool
excellent and a joy to use. If you have ideas on how you ideally would want it
to work, let us know!