Re: debugging config files options

From: Daniel Feenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 07:01:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, Daniel Stenberg via curl-users wrote:

> A challenge is that ~/.curlrc is read and parsed before any command line
> options. So how do we active the config file debug mode?
>
> 1. If -v or --verbose is used as the *first option* on the command line.

Does the -v option provide significant additional information during
parsing? Many commands have -v or -d options, and .rc files - do we know
what they do? My guess is that for most commands -v doesn't affect
parsing, so there isn't a problem for them.

What is the reason to only examine the first option? Even if documented,
that restriction would be missed by most users. How costly would it be to
scan the entire command line? Would that mean having a fixed maximum
length for the command line?

Sorry for all the questions.

Daniel Feenberg