Re: Problem with CONTENT-ENCODING

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:59:39 -0800

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:23:22PM +0200, Dobromir Velev wrote:
> Hi,
> I guessed so, but I have the most recent zlib version, and the decoding worked
> fine when I tried it with a Firefox browser. Also I can make it work by
> changing the order in the "Accept-Encoding:" header to "gzip,deflate" instead
> of the default 'deflate,gzip' or setting CURLOPT_ENCODING to 'gzip'.

In that case, the server is probably sending you gzip encoded data instead
of deflate.

> I was just wondering if it could be something else I'm missing here.
>
> Anyway thanks for the response. I'll continue digging and will let you know if
> something comes up.

The probably is likely that your server is sending you bad deflated data; it
seems like quite a few servers do. It's such a problem that some browsers
even detect the invalid data and work around it, which is evidently what
Firefox does. See this thread for a similar discussion:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-08/0204.html

>>> Dan