Re: pthreads on AIX

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 08:51:59 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, Michael Schultz via curl-library wrote:

> My previous change to configure to build on AIX 7.2 was not enough. When I
> linked my application with curl static libraries, I got the undefined
> references to pthreads again.

You need to link your application with the pthreads library as well when you
link with a static libcurl built to use the threaded resolver backend.

> Looking around and comparing the 7.64.0 curl to the curl-7.49.1, I
> discovered that the module curl_threads.c had the threads disabled on 7.49.1
> and had them enabled on 7.64.0.

> Is there a downside to disabling multi-threading on the cURL static
> libraries?

Since curl 7.55.1, the configure script will attempt to detect and use the
threaded resolver backend by default. The threaded resolver has the added
benefit that it can be timed out nicer and doesn't lock the thread up like the
traditional sync one etc.

But then, if the sync resolver worked fine for you before then there's no
reason to think that it won't work just as fine for you now...