RE: smart quotes warning

From: Rod Widdowson via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 09:57:00 -0000

> I polled a couple of colleagues and they had also been bitten by this issue in the past.

Not personally but I make limited use of the command line. However, a constant issue with our customer base is cut and paste (normally of XML) not working because of this sort of nonsense.

I know enough about character encoding and so forth to know that I don't know anything at all, but my suggestion would be to key any warning on characters whose code is less than 33 or greater than 126. (<=SPC >=DEL). However that may be wildly wrong.

...............always assuming that EBCDIC really is a thing of the past which may not be the case...

For whatever it's worth