Re: What would make GitHub even better for us?

From: John Marshall via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 14:29:46 +0000

On 26 Oct 2021, at 08:06, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:
> I've created a git repository with suggestions I think GitHub could do, that would improve running and maintaining our project. It is browsable here:
>
> https://bagder.github.io/github-feedback/

BTW some of these are things that people have been asking for for years. In particular:

A “merges” keyword
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/2 (from 2013)
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/548 (from 2016)
https://github.com/github/feedback/discussions/6414 (recent)

Disable the default tarballs for releases
Amazingly I can't find an isaacs/github issue about this; see also eg https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/854245762720342016
https://github.com/github/feedback/discussions/6003 (recent)

Commenting in the isaacs/github repository has recently been turned off, despite no migration as discussed in https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/1985 etc having occurred, so I guess those issues have started being recreated ad-hoc in the github/feedback discussions. (This is frustrating for those who had put a lot of effort into describing GitHub problems in the isaacs repo!)

> My idea is to polish and work on the proposals a bit before I show them as real proposals to any GitHubber.

Anyway, just a note pointing at some of the other places where similar proposals are being made. In particular, the staff reply on #6003 re default tarballs may be of interest.

    John