How to build libcurl with OpenSSL without installing the latter?

From: ellie via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:51:43 +0100

Hi everyone,

How can I build libcurl from source with OpenSSL WITHOUT having an
OpenSSL install? I tried pointing the --with-openssl=... path to the
OpenSSL repository (with the library built, all .a files in place even)
but it doesn't like that.

I can't really install OpenSSL because this is a cross-compilation, so
that inherently doesn't make sense. (Even for the native build I don't
want to, because I statically link a local variant and installing it
might mess up the system-wide copy I assume.)

I also use --disable-shared and --enable-static anyway, so there is no
point in linking. And I have the headers in the OpenSSL source tree, now
I just need to know how to tell libcurl to use those, and not complain
and just build. And I'm really very clueless how to. How does this work?
Would also be nice if hints were to be added for this scenario (external
SSL lib from source and NOT installed, all static builds) here:
https://everything.curl.dev/source/build/tls

Any ideas appreciated!

Regards,

Ellie

PS: As a side note, is there a --without-any-libs switch? So I can
disable every use of any possibly detected library, then add --with-...
switches to enable them manually? Since this is a static build, linking
anything from the OS is the opposite of what I want.