Re: Follow REUSE best practices for licensing/copyright

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:28:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 May 2022, Max Mehl via curl-library wrote:

> Do you already know whether *all* files in the repository are under the curl
> license and "Copyright (C) 1998 - 2022, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel_at_haxx.se>,
> et al."?

The curl license covers everything except lib/krb5.c (which is 3-clause BSD
style)

The copyrights are varying. I have most of them but there are plenty of other
copyright holders as well in different parts.

> As we would also cover insignificant files such as configuration files,
> shall they also be just under the curl license or would you tend towards
> making them similar to public domain?

We cannot willingly make things "public domain" where I live and work, so no
they are not. I would say that all files in the curl repository, unless stated
otherwise, are distributed under the same license.

>> If we just update ./scripts/copyright.pl accordingly, it's done.
>
> From a first glance it would even be possible to replace it completely,

For now, I think I prefer to have us rely on our own tooling than switching
over to something else's.

> depending on whether you would like to stick with updating the years

I would.

> (which is not really necessary/useful as many argue [^1]).

There are also those who argue otherwise. We stick to it.