Re: [Discussion] Have curl honor OpenSSH configurations

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:40:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022, Randall via curl-library wrote:

> Originally opened by Ben Voris. The request was to have curl support OpenSSH
> config specifications. I am opening a discussion on this subject from the
> above case. The ask is whether it would make sense to have an option to
> allow curl to honor ~/.ssh/config while attempting to connect?

The OpenSSH config file is very advanced. I imagine there is some particular
subset you think of? I think it would be valuable to spell that out and be
specific.

> Ben Voris has a significant usability point in the case, including: " I had
> hoped that because curl libssh and libssh uses OpenSSH, it would honor the
> config file and so allow curl to behave like OpenSSH clients."

libssh does *NOT* use OpenSSH. It is a separate implementation. But sure,
I have understood that libssh has an OpenSSH config file parser.

It will of course be very complicated if we would rely on libssh's parser (if
that would even be possible I don't know), as lots of users get their SSH
powers done with curl using libssh2 and it does not have such a parser.

> Many software projects other than OpenSSH honor ~/.ssh/config.

I was not aware. Can you mention some that are not using libssh or are done by
openssh themselves?

Does the OpenSSH project make any form for claims or promises for how their
format is done and will remain etc? I see that the config format is said to be
the "OpenSSH client configuration file" in the man page. No doubt there at
least that they seem to make it for OpenSSH, not for generic SSH client
purposes. Ie: how fragile are the 3rd party parsers?