Re: curl_multi_poll check breaks previous behavior

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:58:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, Matthew Bobowski via curl-library wrote:

> I am curious as to why this change was made which breaks expected behavior.

The expected behavior from any libcurl function is what is documented - if it
isn't documented, the behavior is not reliable.

The handling of negative arguments was incidental and by chance it worked like
you described. There was no *deliberate* handling of negative values. As such,
users could either take advantage of the undocumented behavior or they could
be surprised and something would go wrong.

Now, I suspect you actually did not only want to ask *why* we changed that but
rather if we can add *documented* support for infinite timeouts?

I think we could.