Re: Backporting CVE-2022-27774 fixes to older curl

From: Roberto C. Sánchez via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 09:54:53 -0500

On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 12:12:34PM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> On Thursday, December 29, 2022 11:56:59 AM CET Kamil Dudka wrote:
> >
> > You can have a look how I backported the fixes, including the regression tests,
> > for curl-7.76.1 in CentOS Stream:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/curl/-/blob/c9s/0013-curl-7.76.1-CVE-2022-27774.patch
>
> ... or the more complicated backport for curl-7.61.1, which also passes
> the upstream tests:
>
> https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/curl/-/blob/c8s/0038-curl-7.61.1-CVE-2022-27774.patch

Kamil,

Thank you! These patches were extremely helpful in developing a working
fix for CVE-2022-27774 in Debian. My first stop was 7.74.0, which
looked quite close to your patch for 7.76.1, with just a small bit of
teaking. The upstream unit tests were most helpful here. The next
stops are 7.64.0, then 7.52.1, and 7.38.0. My hope is that your 7.61.1
patch requires little to no change for 7.64.0 and perhaps some minor
tweaking for 7.52.1. It is not clear what will happen with 7.38.0,
given how old it is. However, I will make an attempt.

Once I have completed all the backporting and ensured that the fix works
and the tests pass I will post a complete set of patches, as well as any
commentary on obstacles I might not have been able to overcome, for
those who are interested.

Regards,

-Roberto

--