Re: End of Life of libcurl 7.88.1

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:52:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023, Pedro Nicolás Gómez Palacios via curl-library wrote:

> We are currently using libcurl 7.88.1, I would like to know if this version
> will still be supported or should we upgrade to 8.X.X ? how is your support
> system, every time you release a new major version (7.x to 8.x) you dictate
> the EOL of the minor version (7.x)?

First: the bump from 7.88.1 to 8.0.1 is as smooth and easy as any other
previous libcurl upgrade we've done the last 16 years. You should of course go
all the way to 8.2.1 while at it. It's not harder.

The open source project curl doesn't really support specific releases or
branches. We help users help themselves by answering questions and giving
advice. Whatever version or platform you're using.

However, very often you will see us ask users to upgrade to the latest version
and try again when they report issues on older versions, as we rarely feel
like going back in time to research is worth the effort as maybe (probably?)
the problem is already solved in the current release. The support we give for
free is limited to what the volounteers want and can help out with.

If you need support for any curl version for any period of time, I would urge
you to get a commercial support contract. I of course recommend my service for
that. See my signature below.