Re: ECH support (when curl is not using DoH)

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:24:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023, Stephen Farrell via curl-library wrote:

> There should be a use-case for ECH when DoH is not used by curl - if a
> system stub resolver supports DoT or DoH, then, considering only ECH and the
> network threat model, it would make sense for curl to support ECH without
> curl itself using DoH.

Yes, I am sure there will be users craving for this. I am of course fine with
doing that in a "second wave" or something though. No need to do everything at
once.

This is similar in spirit to the people who are asking (I'm being polite so I
do not write "demanding" here) for an option to disable the .onion filtering
[*] because they run a setup where they are in full control of the resolver
and they know it is fine.

> One option would seem to be to extend the c-ares library to support HTTPS
> RRs

This is the route I have been pondering myself. I am a co-maintainer of c-ares
and I think it would fit in the library so I don't think such an extention
would face any problems there.

Adding another separate DNS library seems a little unfortunate since we
already use c-ares for other things and replacing c-ares completely feels like
quite a lot of work...

A little extra "quirk" is of course that currently when curl is built to use
c-ares, it *replaces* the normal resolver lookups and only c-ares is used, but
it might be that we to allow the stock resolver for regular A/AAAA lookups and
only use c-ares for HTTPS. This, because it turns out that replacing the stock
resolver for these name resolves is darn next impossible for all of the
never-ending edge cases out there in the world.

[*] = https://github.com/curl/curl/discussions/11125