Re: coverity warnings (Y2K38_SAFETY and OOB access)

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:51:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023, Sergey Bronnikov via curl-library wrote:

> 1. 1568154 Use of 32-bit time_t
> The time value stored in this integer will represent a different, but
> possibly valid, time.
> In Curl_hostcache_prune: A 64-bit time_t value is stored in a smaller
> width integer. (CWE-197)

This is a false positive. The timeout there is the relative time from last use
until now - in seconds - which is likely to always fit in an int, even in the
most extreme cases.

It could possibly be rewritten to aovid triggering Coverity.

> 2. 1568144 Out-of-bounds access
> Access of memory not owned by this buffer may cause crashes or incorrect
> computations.
> In Curl_sock_assign_addr: Out-of-bounds access to a buffer (CWE-119)
>
> Relevant part of source code, ./lib/cf-socket.c:250:
>
> <snipped>
>
>   dest->addrlen = ai->ai_addrlen;
>
>   if(dest->addrlen > sizeof(struct Curl_sockaddr_storage))
>     dest->addrlen = sizeof(struct Curl_sockaddr_storage);
>   memcpy(&dest->sa_addr, ai->ai_addr, dest->addrlen);
>
> ^^^^^^^^

This is a false positive. Because 'dest->sa_addr' is here is part of a union,
where the only other union member is a 'struct Curl_sockaddr_storage' and thus
it will not overwrite memory outside the struct.

This too could be rewritten to avoid the warning, but would probably instead
need more typecasts.