Re: Add CURLOPT_SERVER_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT_MS option

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:48:29 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023, Yifei Kong via curl-library wrote:

> Thanks for all your suggestions. Another issue that bugs me is that it seems
> that this option does not work with HTTP. The documentation says it only
> works with FTP, IMAP, POP3, SMTP and SSH. Considering the wide usage of
> HTTP, can we expand the available protocols of it to more?

I don't see the point. We have several timeout options for HTTP already.

The CURLOPT_SERVER_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT is for protocols where curl waits for the
server's responses many times during a standard "conversation". HTTP is not
like that, as there is only one response.

For HTTP we already provide:

  CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT
  CURLOPT_TIMEOUT
  CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_LIMIT + CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_TIME

... or you can craft your own with CURLOPT_XFERINFOFUNCTION.