Re: Add CURLOPT_SERVER_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT_MS option

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:13:44 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023, Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library wrote:

> My suggestion effectively stops proliferation of different TIMEOUT_WHATEVER
> options and provides exactly what application writers need, a parameter with
> the standardized type for intervals.

- I don't think there's so much proliferation. We basically allow seconds
   and/or milliseconds.

- timespec did not exist when we made the first options that accept timeouts
   and it not available in plain old C89

- It is still not a standardized type for timeouts in many APIs

- We use milliseconds in numerous options already, so that seems a much less
   surprising choice if we would add support for a higher resolution server
   response timeout. Consistency in the API makes it more predictable for
   users.

- providing a timespec struct pointer as an argument to curl_easy_setopt()
   seems a slightly more unfortable solution than a plain long holding
   milliseconds - for very little extra value. It seem unlikely to appear a
   demand for sub-millisecond resolutions for this functionality anytime soon,
   seeing as we have survived on integer seconds fine still today.