Re: Separate install

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:13:32 -0500

On 21-Dec-23 05:25, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> FYI
>
> A comment problem people seem to have, is installing a custom libcurl
> somewhere, only to find that their new curl executable does not use
> the new libcurl but instead load another/system libcurl.
>
> To help us not having to repeat ourselves as much in the future, I
> added a page to everything curl about it:
>
> https://everything.curl.dev/build/separate

A helpful post, but rather than edit /etc/ld.so.conf (which generally
contains "include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf)" as you advise, it would be
better to add a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/.

E.g.

    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/00-libcurl.conf:

    # My custom libcurl builds - we require the experimental TLS V8.4
    support (1-Apr-2038)

    /usr/local/libcurl/lib

This keeps the change separate, easy to undo.  And "locate libcurl" will
turn up the .conf file if someone inherits the system and is surprised
that the newly-installed SYSTEM libcurl isn't used...

If a distribution doesn't have the "include", I'd add it for the same
reason.

The issue comes up both when the custom libcurl is not used and when it is.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer