Re: Reproducing the release tarballs

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 11:24:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 2024, Dan Fandrich via curl-library wrote:

> SPDX seems to be the standard SBOM format for this that tools are starting
> to expect. The format is able to handle complex situations, but given the
> very limited scope needed in curl and for source releases only, once you get
> a template file set up the first time filling in the details for every
> release should be simple.

I can't but to feel that this is aiming (much) higher than what I want to do.
If someone truly thinks SPDX is a better way to provide this information then
I hope someone will step up and convert the scripts to instead use this
format.

This is a SBOM for the tarball creation, not for curl.

I rather start with something basic and simple, as we don't even know if
anyone cares or wants this information.

> Even running "reuse spdx" in the curl tree (the same tool that's keeping
> curl in REUSE compliance in that CI build) will output a SPDX file for curl.

I tried it just now. It produces 86,000 lines of output! And yet I can't find
a lot of helpful content within the output for our purpose here.

It does not seem like a suitable tool for this.