Re: feature request: expected payload size command-line flag

From: Paul Gilmartin via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 10:25:21 -0600

On 11/2/22 09:33:46, Timothe Litt via curl-users wrote:
> I'm not a supporter of this proposal, but to be fair:  if it's for a progress meter, the value doesn't have to be exact - or even very close.    A progress meter that's off by 20% is probably reassuring enough for most purposes.  (In most cases, seeing motion and a rate is more reassuring than the exact % done or end time.)

For that purpose, isn't seeing the "Received" count change sufficient?
I rely on it in one case.

but perhaps a tumbling bar: | / - \ when expected size is unavailable.

And, if you're doing something repetitive - e.g. a new release of curl, or a database update, the size of the last download is probably a good enough proxy for the next one. Sometimes, on some file systems pre-allocation can be worthwhile.

Even though I've used a pre-allocation oriented system, it seems too
specialized -- the pre-allocation process is idiosyncratic.

--
gil