Re: --etag-compare vs. --time-cond

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:15:32 -0500

On 04-Mar-23 23:24, Paul Gilmartin via curl-users wrote:
> On 3/4/23 15:41:44, Timothe Litt via curl-users wrote:

>> Section 6 also discusses precedence and evaluation order.
>>
>> As I said, read the whole RFC.
>>
>> Your test isn't valid.  An E-Tag validator is only meaningful to the
>> server that sent it.
>> For example, consider a validator that internally looks like
>> of validators, it might try to parse it, and since "wombat" isn't in
>> that format, give up.
>
> I'm calling it the site.  Another URL on a different site let ETag
> dominate
> and didn't give up on "wombat", not calling it a matcn.

It's not the site's fault.  Sending a random validator (one that didn't
come from the server) to a server is undefined.

Both behaviors are valid.  As are others, such as returning an error.
Or doing something different every time.

The only thing that IS defined for a client is for it to return a
validator (from an e-tag) obtained from a given server to the same
server as a match condition.

Keep your wombat in Australia...or don't be surprised if it bites you.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer