curl / Mailing Lists / curl-distros / Single Mail

Re: How are folks handling HTTP3 TLS?

From: Samuel Henrique via curl-distros <curl-distros_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:37:21 +0100

Hello,

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 at 19:44, Billy O'Neal (VC AIR) via curl-distros <curl-distros_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:
> Just recording here since I started this thread. We elected to not add an
> HTTP3 feature for now.
> https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/37146#issuecomment-2026153067
>
> We are interested in how other distros solve the quic problem in the future.

Thanks for the link to the discussion, I haven't read it yet but will save it
for later.

On Debian, our plan so far is to switch the libcurl used by curl to the one
backed up by gnutls, we already provide two flavors of libcurl in the distro:
openssl and gnutls (old releases also provide an nss build).

I'm expecting us to be able to enable HTTP3 on the gnutls libcurl in a couple
of months, but it's really going to depend on updating our nghttp3 and ngtcp2
packages for Debian unstable.

Then the transition of curl to use gnutls libcurl might take a couple more
months, depending on any possible issues we find along the way.

We want to have everything settled by the end of the year.

If openssl support gets good enough by the end of the year, then we will keep
curl (the cli) with the openssl backend. Otherwise, the next Debian stable will
get released with the curl cli using gnutls with HTTP3 (again, we will still
provide an openssl libcurl) and we might stick to that from then on.

PS: I subscribed a bit late to this list (didn't realize I forgot to confirm)
and so I lost the initial emails of this thread, they also don't seem to be
available as the archive is erroring out with 404:
https://lists.haxx.se/pipermail/curl-distros/

Cheers,

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>