Re: Help building proper debug version libcurl/7.29.0

From: Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:47:07 -0300

On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 4:51 PM Ali Ahmed via curl-library <
curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm trying to build a debug version of libcurl to debug a seg fault issue.
> The version of libcurl on the faulting system is:
> libcurl version libcurl/7.29.0 NSS/3.53.1 zlib/1.2.7 libidn/1.28
> libssh2/1.8.0
>
> I have pulled the code from curl code from github and checked out the
> 7.29.0 tag (bf633a5)

not the same curl if it comes from a distribution.

> Q1) Can anyone tell me the options to pass into the configure script to
> match the version on the faulting system?

The options used by the distribution's builder. I suggest avoiding this
route.

Q2) Do I need to make sure the NSS, zlib, libidn, libssh2 libraries on the
> debug build machine match the ones found on the faulting machine?

Yes. however you will find that the NSS backend went away in the meanwhile
and that you really shouldn't use it.

These days I highly advise against any of this, if you have all the sources
involved . debug with a container with let's say you are using
RHEL/CENTOS.. a container with Fedora39 with debuginfo installed. current
tooling even downloads all the proper debug information automatically for
you.