Re: Large download speed deviations for CURLOPT_MAX_RECV_SPEED_LARGE in 8.4.0

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:42:00 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, Dmitry Karpov via curl-library wrote:

> Is it something known or a not previously noticed regression in 8.4.0?

When I looked into this now, I noticed a regression in multi_getsock() which
makes libcurl re-calculate the waiting periods during rate-limiting way too
often. That's wasteful and in my tests it made the limited speed differ more
from the desired value than what it should otherwise do.

This said: I could not see a 20% deviation in my tests. I saw a much smaller
one, that seems to be mostly gone with my fix. So I can't say for sure if this
really is the problem you see or if there is an additional one.

Anyway, my proposed first fix is here:

   https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/12430

If you apply that patch, then doing debug outputs in the
Curl_pgrsLimitWaitTime() function is much easier and way less "floody". If you
keep seeing this problem we can then double-check the calculations there to
check that they seem reasonable. They do for me.