Re: SIGSEGV in curl-8.6.0/lib/http2.c:288 (curl_multi_perform->extract_if_dead->http2_data_done)

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:28:33 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024, Aleksander Mazur via curl-library wrote:

> Recently I observe my program crashing (sometimes) during system startup.
> (During system startup internet connection is down so a few first
> https/HTTP2 requests fail with CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST. Then internet
> connection goes up.) Then the program is restarted by supervisor and works
> fine.

The stack trace does however seem to imply that there is an existing
connection in the pool to kill off so this cannot be the first connection done
after starting up, right?

I presume you have a hard time to reproduce this reliably? Does it happen
against random hosts or does it typically happen against the same server? I
presume you only see this with h2?

Or in other words: if you would try an updated libcurl, what would it take for
you to know that it fixes the issue?

> ... what most probably matches accessing stream->id in lib/http2.c:288:
>> (void)nghttp2_session_set_stream_user_data(ctx->h2, stream->id, NULL);
> meaning that stream must have been not NULL but held an invalid pointer.

> Are you aware of a scenario in which a stale pointer to Curl_easy.req.p.http
> is kept in connection cache and then reused?

Nothing in the Curl_easy struct is kept in the connection cache. Only
connections are kept there and they are 'struct connectdata'.

But no, I can't recall us having a case where we had a bad connection struct
in the cache.

> Do you think https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/13096 may be related to this issue?

Hm, I think I need Stefan's input for that, but I certainly can't rule it out.