Re: NSS and gskit are getting the axe

From: Patrick Monnerat via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 01:31:25 +0200

On 7/19/23 00:52, Timothe Litt via curl-library wrote:

> With respect to CI:
>
> While I know little about OS400, Perldoc says that you *can *natively
> compile Perl with IBM's Visual Age compiler.   Most CPAN modules are
> either pure Perl, portable XS (a bunch of C macros), or provide a pure
> Perl alternative.  Whether the tests depend on any exceptions would
> have to be investigated.

Perldoc also says:

    Perl on ILE

There exists a port of Perl to the ILE environment. This port, however,
is based quite an old release of Perl, Perl 5.00502 (August 1998). (As
of July 2002 the latest release of Perl is 5.8.0, and even 5.6.1 has
been out since April 2001.) If you need to run Perl on ILE, though, you
may need this older port: http://www.cpan.org/ports/#os400 Note that any
Perl release later than 5.00502 has not been ported to ILE.

If you need to use Perl in the ILE environment, you may want to consider
using Qp2RunPase() to call the PASE version of Perl.

In qshell, the native (ILE) OS400 shell:

  $
  > perl
    qsh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command perl. No such path
or directory.
  $

It exists in the PASE environment however.

PASE environment is approximately to OS400 what wine
(https://www.winehq.org/) is to linux.

In addition, the machine instruction language/codes are not the same. A
bit like if you're emulating a processor on another one.

PASE is based on ASCII, ILE on EBCDIC!

As perl is essentially an interpreted language, you must have an
interpreter in the target environment even if you run perl modules
stored in their "precompiled" form.

 From a PASE perl, forking and scheduling an external program like our
test system does will try to run an ILE binary as if it were a PASE
program :-(

I investigated the OS400 support of our test environment many years ago
and finally gave up.