Re: "curldown" for libcurl man pages ?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:18:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024, jim.fuller_at_webcomposite.com wrote:

> I would have thought ascidoc sufficient

There are literally dozens of available quality tools that can generate nroff
from something else. That is but a small part of the task. The other details I
mentioned get much more complicated to work out when using one of these other
tools. It needs to fit into our infra and the tighter it fits the better. With
the test suite, with the website, with everything.

With a custom tool we can add custom checks and validations and also have it
use the exact output format we want. And we can update and change it if we
decide we want it differently. Also, the existing PR shows that switching like
this can be done without too much manual extra work.

If someone wants to try the same exercise using one of these other tools you
speak of, then please go ahead and do so and maybe you will understand better
what I'm talking about...